My ArtistShare-powered site has finally launched. I know I’ve been talking about it for awhile now — I didn’t know how big a job it was to prepare — but now it’s ready for the world to see.
SnapSizzleBop.com was born today, October 16, 2006 at 1:15pm Pacific Time. Weighing in at approximately 34 web pages, proud parents are all doing fine and are anxious for you to visit.
Here’s the overview press release with links to more detailed releases about the two projects that are ready.
The Launch of SnapSizzleBop.com
A consortium of projects powered by ArtistShare
Three is a magic number and SnapSizzleBop.com is all about magic.
- SNAP: the magic of music â€“ Clairdee
- SIZZLE: the magic of making people come alive on a page of words â€“ People on the Page
- BOP: the magic of seeing through a cameraâ€™s lens â€“ At the Feet of a Jazz Master
SnapSizzleBop is a web site powered by ArtsistShare featuring a team led by writer Devra Hall, with jazz singer Clairdee, photographer Leroy Hamilton, and personal manager/jazz master John Levy. Their first ArtistShare odyssey is a group of three independent projects, each of which has a Snap-Sizzle-Bop three-pronged approach.
The Inside Story: Have you ever wondered who an artist really is beyond the music they make? Clairdee takes participants on an exclusive expedition to discover the vignettes of song that will become a limited edition 12-track ArtistShare recording. The Inside Story brings you into the life of this artist and behind the scenes in the making of this recording. Inspirational, educational and part memoir, this experience will focus on
- SNAP: The art of storytelling â€“ lyrics are more than words set to music.
- SIZZLE: Revealing a common thread between music and Clairdeeâ€™s life, and
- BOP: The various steps Clairdee is taking to move her career to a strong national presence.
People On The Page: If you like to read biographies, People On The Page will give you a new perspective on what goes into researching and writing someoneâ€™s life story. And if you have any interest in jazz, Broadway musicals, or African-American history, you will also be intrigued by the life of Luther Henderson, a Black man who attended Juilliard in the 1940s, was Duke Ellingtonâ€™s â€œclassical armâ€ and musical director for both Lena Horn and Polly Bergen, composed and arranged music for many of Broadway musicals, and had a hand in dozens of popular recordings and television shows. People On The Page is:
- SNAP: Part memoir of Devra Hallâ€™s life as a writer and the issues she grapples with as a biographer
- SIZZLE: Part behind-the-scenes look at her process as she works on the biography of Luther Henderson
- BOP: And part exploration of what readers and writers of biographies think aboutâ€¦. with insights from several biographer colleagues such as Walt Harrington, Doug Ramsey, Terry Teachout, and Bill Zinsser, among others.
At the Feet of a Jazz Master: This is a soft-cover coffee-table book with photos by Leroy Hamilton and text by Devra Hall that will share the current thoughts and wisdom of John Levy. This project is slated to roll out after the first two, but hereâ€™s a little preview. In January 2006, John Levy, the jazz bassist turned talent manager, was named an NEA Jazz Master. Photographer Leroy Hamilton was on the scene and shot some 7000+ photos over a period of several days, following John through:
- SNAP: The official NEA events (Jazz Masters luncheon, panel discussion and awards ceremony attended by so many legendary jazz people who John has known),
- SIZZLE: Interviews and book signings, and
- BOP: Rehearsals with the newest artist on his roster (Clairdee) as well as in the studio with Nancy Wilson.
At The Feet of a Jazz Master is a sequel of sorts to Levyâ€™s life story, â€œMen, Women, and Girl Singers,â€ and will include snippets and stories, reminiscences and ruminations, from a man who, at the age of 94, has lived a long life in jazz.
While each of these three projects stands alone, you may surmise some crossover appeal. Those who are jazz fans may find interest in all three projects. Those interested in the art of biography may also enjoy the highly biographical flavor of the photo/essay book. â€œAt The Feet Of Jazz Master.â€ Fans of Leroy Hamilton will enjoy exploring one of Leroyâ€™s personal passions, jazz, as documented through his unique lens. Clairdee fans curious about her manager, John Levy, will especially enjoy the section of â€œAt The Feet Of Jazz Masterâ€ that will be devoted to his work with her and Leroyâ€™s photos of her rehearsal and performance at IAJE in January of 2006.
So please visit and then comeback and let me know what you think. SnapSizzleBop.com